Cobb & Douglas Public Health’s (CDPH) Immunization Clinic is offering annual flu vaccines to everyone 6 months and older at the Acworth, Marietta, Douglasville and East Cobb Public Health Center locations. CDPH is also offering them for local businesses and community events for groups of 20 or more people.
“We are committed to ensuring everyone is properly protected, so we’re encouraging community members to walk in to one of our many clinic locations. We’re also able to provide onsite vaccinations to any group in Cobb or Douglas county that has 20 or more people who’d like to get immunized,” said Priti Kolhe, District Immunization Director, Cobb & Douglas Public Health.
Recommendations for Senior Patients
In addition to the flu vaccine, CDPH also recommends pneumonia shots for persons over 65 years old, or anyone with a chronic illness or weakened immune system. The shingles vaccine is also recommended for anyone over 60 years of age.
Reduce the Risk of Getting the Flu
In addition to receiving a flu vaccination, individuals can also reduce the risk of getting the flu by following a few simple steps:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water or an alcohol-based hand cleanser
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth
- Stay home when you are sick and keep sick children home
- Do not share eating utensils, drinking glasses, towels or other personal items
- Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue when you cough or sneeze, then put used tissues in the trash and wash your hands. If you do not have a tissue, cough or sneeze into your sleeve
“Whether people walk in or take advantage of our mobile immunization team, we want to remind individuals that the flu vaccine provides the best protection against the flu,” said Kolhe.
For more information, contact the CDPH Immunization Clinic at (770) 514-2417 or visit cdc.gov.