HOW CAN I PREVENT CONTRACTING THIS DISEASE?
Depending on the type of flu that is circulating, there may be a vaccine. Oseltamivir, peramivir, or zanamivir is the treatment of human infection with flu Type A viruses.
Flu Type A viruses does not normally infect humans. Infected birds shed avian influenza virus in their saliva, mucous and feces. Human infections can happen when enough virus gets into a person’s eyes, nose mouth, or lungs. The best way to prevent infection is to avoid exposure.
- People should avoid contact with domestic birds that appear ill,
- Avoid contact with surfaces that may be contaminated with feces from wild or domestic birds
- Only observe wild birds from a distance.
- Poultry employees should always wear personal protective equipment (PPE), especially when their work involves killing the chickens.
If you are traveling to countries with flu Type A outbreaks, you can help prevention by:
- Frequently washing your hands with soap and warm water. If soap and water are unavailable, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
- Avoid preparing or eating raw or undercooked poultry products. Cook all poultry products to 165°F (74°C).
- Avoid visiting poultry farms, bird markets, and other places where birds are raised, kept, or sold.
- Being up-to-date on all immunization shots and gets any additional shots 4 to 6 weeks before traveling.
- Seeing a doctor if you become sick during or after travel.