HOW CAN I PREVENT CONTRACTING THIS DISEASE?
Currently there is no vaccine to prevent Ebola. There is no specific antiviral treatment for Ebola infection. Symptoms of Ebola and complications are treated as they appear. The patient will need to be hospitalized to be treated to help relieve the symptoms and to prevent transmitting the disease to others. Recovering from Ebola depends on factors such as age, immune status, severity of illness, what treatment is given, and when it was started.
People can get infected if the Ebola virus by having direct contact with:
- Bodily Fluids of a person who is sick with or has died from Ebola
- Objects contaminated with the virus
- Infected fruit bats or primates
- Possibly contact with semen from a man who has recovered from Ebola
If you are traveling, you can help prevent the spread of disease by:
- Frequently washing your hands vigorously with soap and warm water. If soap and water are unavailable, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
- Avoiding close contact with sick people.