HOW CAN I PREVENT CONTRACTING THIS DISEASE?
Currently there is no vaccination for Hepatitis C. Hepatitis C is spread via contact with an infected person’s blood. Methods to prevent Hepatitis C infection are:
- Practicing safe sex using protection
- Avoid sharing needles or syringes
- Avoid sharing personal items like razors and toothbrushes.
- Do not get tattoos or piercings at unlicensed facilities
- Wearing gloves and using a bleach solution to clean any blood spills
- CDC recommends that HCV-positive mothers with nipples and/or surrounding areola that are cracked and bleeding, should stop nursing temporarily until they are fully healed.
It is possible to cure a person of Hepatitis C with current treatments. A complete list of approved treatments can be found at the Food and Drug Administration website. A person who has been infected with Hepatitis C can seek further treatment with a gastroenterologist, hepatologist, or other specialists who can create a treatment plan specific to a person’s genotype of Hepatitis C.